Saturday, January 21, 2006

What a lucky girl am I

I was planning to write at length about yesterday's admittedly mundane but still brain-bulging aggravations. We started off well with a swimming one-month pediatrician visit -- Scampy weighed 7lbs, 15oz, Impy weighed 7lbs, 6oz, and each was 20 3/4" long*. All was well. However, by the time we got home, we were... (insert scary sound-effect of choice here) ...Off Schedule.

I may be starting to grasp the sanctity of Baby-Related Schedules and the Perils of Departing Therefrom. Okay, so it's really just a lot of crying and not sleeping for very long and demands to be fed at surprising times. Not that fun; not disastrous, either. But in line with all of Murphy's Laws, this State of Being Off-Schedule apparently involves everything else going to hell in a ham biscuit: dogs barking incessantly; cats galloping up and down the upstairs hall as if they were running with the bulls (hell, as if they were the bulls); doorbells chiming; relatives, telemarketers and utilities weary of my strangely compulsive late payment habits calling and wanting to chat. Sensory overload, and not in a good way.

But then I looked at the calendar, and realized that a year ago, I had just done my first IVF transfer (which subsequently failed). This, after years of pure infertility hell. Suddenly that Schedule thing, even with its accompanying frustrations, doesn't seem like such a big deal. The fact that we find ourselves with two sweet, healthy babies -- now, that is a big deal. I know that in parenting, as in other life challenges, perspective can be hard to come by...I'm going to do my best to hang onto it.


*'Though they are currently in the puny 5th-10th percentile range for size, this is apparently unsurprising for twins. After a relatively rough few weeks at the beginning (when despite their almost term gestation, Scampy lost too much weight, spent a night in the NICU with jaundice and nearly failed to thrive) they're now gaining weight and growing in all directions. Given the boys' double shot of big, strapping family genes, size is just not something I'm prepared to worry about at this point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home